[kepler-dev] [kepler-users] Recipe for using Ptolemy JAI actors?

David Welker david.v.welker at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 16:52:51 PDT 2010

Wouldn't it make most sense for us, as the Kepler project, to make a
JAI module in Kepler? After all, it seems unreasonable to me to have
everyday developer/users have to do so much hacking with how we use
Ptolemy in the build to get this to work. Also, such hacking will not
be easily shared. It seems to me that JAI is important enough to
enough scientists as to be worth making into a module that can easily
shared.

More generally, I would argue that as we get requests like this (for
functionality in Ptolemy but not normally accessible in Kepler) that
we make new modules. What are we going to do when we get the next JAI
request? Tell them to go through all these steps again? We could give
them much simpler instructions: just use the new JAI module.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Is this a good use case for a new module?

Sent from my iPhone