[kepler-dev] updating copyrights

Chad Berkley berkley at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Jan 26 11:12:15 PST 2010

Hi,

I've been doing some work on bug 4686, trying up update the copyrights
in the kepler source code.  I've been looking more into when the date on
a particular source file's copyright statement should be updated.  It
looks like the date needs to be updated to the current year if the file
has been modified in the current year.  Unfortunately, since we have
done so much refactoring in the last year, every single file has been
touched in SVN so it's impossible to do an automated check on whether a
file should have its date changed.

So I pose these questions to the kepler community:

1) Should we (can we legally) change the dates on all of the source
files in the kepler repository since they technically have been touched
this year.

2) If not, how should we proceed with this?  Updating the entire
repository by hand will be very time consuming.

3) If so, should I just change all files to have a date range starting
with the original copyright and extending to 2010, or should I just
change it to 2010?  For example, if a file currently says "copyright
2004", I could change it to be "2004-2010" or to just "2010".

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or knowledge you have on this subject,

chad