[kepler-dev] GEON and jgss.jar and licensing

David Welker david.v.welker at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 02:55:30 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I am busy investigating jar files for license terms and sometimes for
function. One jar I was looking at is jgss.jar. If you look inside,
you see that it contains the package org.ietf.jgss and implements Java
General Security Services (JGSS) in a handful of classes. In Java 6,
this jar is definitely unnecessary, as the functionality of this jar
is definitely incorporated into the JDK. I know that this jar is also
unnecessary in Java 1.5 on the Mac, as I deleted it and everything
still compiled fine despite a clear compile time dependency.
Basically, there is only a single import that uses this jar, namely
org.geon.FTPClient which may be found in the actors module. The jar
itself is stored in the core module.

So, anyway, I was wondering if I could get someone to check out a
Windows machine and a Linux machine and whether or not jgss.jar can be
deleted from the core module when running Java 1.5 and whether
org.geon.FTPClient in the actors module will still compile after doing
so. I tried downloading the JDK 1.5 on Mac for Windows, but
unfortunately instead of a .zip or .tar.gz file that I could extract
and look at, these files are either .bin or .exe files and therefore
not easy for me to get at the internals to verify that this jar is in
fact unnecessary.

I would really like to delete this jar if it is not needed even though
it is indeed very small. I am trying to bring the documentation on the
third party jars we use to a higher standard, and I have spent hours
trying to find license terms for jgss.jar and I have failed to do so.
I cannot even find where the jar can be downloaded from as an original
matter. I am fairly certain that jgss.jar is licensed appropriately
for commercial use, as it has now been incorporated into the JDK
itself. But, not having documentation to that effect is below the
standard I would like to establish for our use of third-party
dependencies.

Anyway, if anyone has access to a Windows or Linux machine and can try
compiling after deleting and report back the results, it would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
David