[kepler-dev] Building small size kepler distribution?

debi staggs staggs at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Oct 26 13:31:43 PDT 2009

Thien Nguyen wrote:
> Hi, I've been making some custom actors in a new suite (created
> locally) for some workflows in synthetic biology. I'm trying to to
> find a good way to share these workflows with custom actors easily,
> because the users will be lab biologists who are not familiar with
> kepler/command lines. I tried ant package to get a complete jar
> distribution, but it's very big 600MB+, so it's hard to share. My
> module is very small 1MB, and I assume most users will only run those
> workflows, or if they want to modify only use a small part of the
> actor library. I need help with these:
> . How to reduce the size of the executable distribution. I tried to
> modify the modules.txt in kepler module and the ptolemy-exclude, but
> not much.
> . In fact, it's more about how to distribute a module easily, without
> checking out kepler with the build system. Can I save a
> workflow/module as a KAR and get it to open and run at a different
> machine with regular Kepler 1.0? I tried to export the workflow from
> the menu but it show dependency errors, from the maillist it seems I
> cannot use Kar export to save a workflow with custom module?
>
> Thanks
>
> Thien Nguyen

Hi Thien,

You could create an installer from Kepler-trunk and include your module
in the distribution.  Here is a link for how to create the installer:

https://kepler-project.org/developers/teams/build/documentation/build-system-instructions#creating-installers

To keep the size down, you may want to create an installer for only your
target OS, and that should help.  The linux one should be around 126MB,
the mac installer should be around 194MB, and the windows one, around 162MB.

Thank you,

Debi Staggs