[kepler-dev] ptII version number?

David Welker david.v.welker at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 16:22:25 PDT 2009

Hi Christopher,

The reasoning behind this is as follows.

We don't really want people to think of Kepler as means of obtaining
Ptolemy. Switching to Ptolemy from Kepler will be disabled in the
Module Manager. If someone wants Ptolemy, they should get it from you
guys directly, using your distribution mechanism, which varies
significantly from our distribution mechanism and uses an entirely
different technology (i.e 'make' instead of 'ant') and an entirely
different "module" system. Furthermore, this is based on a branch of
Ptolemy in the Kepler repository, not a release of Ptolemy. It is
necessary to make such a branch because for this prototype, every
module that is published must have a corresponding branch to enable
patches.

Of course, as a prototype, the exact techniques that we use will be a
matter for further discussion before any final decisions are made for
the Kepler project.

I think it would be more confusing, not less, to indicate the actual
version of Ptolemy that this was released from. Kepler modules version
numbers for publishing purposes should be distinguished from Ptolemy
releases, which are entirely different things. Of course, we could
publish information on the wiki about the very rough correspondence
between these two things in the documentation, for those who are
curious. But Kepler does not do releases of Ptolemy. Instead, Kepler
uses Ptolemy releases. Also, we are developing consistent naming and
other conventions for modules and your suggested names do not fit into
those conventions.

I look forward to discussing this with you further after November 11
when your schedule clears up a little bit and you have time to discuss
Kepler issues.

-David