[kepler-dev] [kepler-leadership] release of Ukranian version of Getting Started Guide

David Welker david.v.welker at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 21:31:38 PDT 2009

Lack of a copyright statement does in fact lessen your rights. It
doesn't prevent you from receiving copyright in the work, but it does
make you ineligible for statutory damages. Thus, you would be required
to prove actual damages in order to bring a copyright lawsuit, which
in many cases will be insignificant compared to statutory remedies.
The more general point is one should not imagine that their rights are
entirely equal, in terms of remedies, if one fails to signify
copyright and fails to register the work with the Copyright Office.
That notice and registration are no longer required to receive
copyright does not imply that the remedies for copyright infringement
are the same for you in the absence of these actions.

Keep in mind that one does not have to attach a license to the
physical text of a document -- although there is a tradition of doing
so in many cases when it comes to software code. A license to use a
copyrighted work can be either verbal or written. It seems quite clear
that some number of such licenses have been issued by the Kepler
project.

That said, the foregoing is more of theoretical interest. I agree that
it makes sense to unambiguously use the Creative Commons designation
suggested.