[kepler-dev] kepler startup time

Aaron Schultz aschultz at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Nov 9 17:08:04 PST 2009

Chad Berkley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The kepler startup time is starting to really hinder development.  Is
> there a timeline for getting the startup times back to what they were
> a few months ago?  I think these bug fixes should take precedence as
> it not only affects user experience, but also makes it really
> frustrating to develop when you have to restart kepler a lot.  It's
> taking almost 4 minutes for me to restart kepler after a clean-all.
>
> thanks,
> chad

Hi Chad, Hope to be back to a faster startup in a week or two...  I'm
definitely struggling with it at the moment.

There's a mod that is very convenient for developers to speed up run
time speed for now, here is what I wrote early to the list about the
devKars function, this won't help after a clean-all though - that's a
build issue, but should make the "ant run" go much faster.

------------------
I've added a modification to the MakeKars task that gets run when Kepler
starts up.  Because the startup is so slow at the moment it is nice to
only start Kepler with a minimal set of actors.  This modification lets
you specify which actors you want to use.  The fewer you specify the
faster the startup time.

Here is how it works:

Create a file in the project root (at the same level as all the module
directories)
called "devKars".

On each line of the file put the name of a KAR you want to load into
Kepler.

For example:

SDFDirector
Constant
Display
RExpression

Only the actors in the list will get Kars generated for them and only
those kars will be read in and cached by Kepler.

For development, it's nice...

Aaron