[kepler-dev] renaming Loader and test installers

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed May 13 11:49:14 PDT 2009

Hi Chad,
Cool, thanks for the clarification.
Yep, we are working towards a Ptolemy II release.

Edward has some changes that need to go in for continuous time.
We are moving away from the fsm and ct domains towards the
modal and continuous domains.  I believe that we should
have a Ptolemy II 8.0.beta in early June.

We have a few failing tests in the nightly build.
We have some failing demos.
I'd like to move towards using JNLP instead of Applets.
I need to figure out how to release the Mac installer.

At some point, probably the last week of May, I'll do another
code cleaning of the Ptolemy tree.

I'll be away WThF next week.

_Christopher

Chad Berkley wrote:
> Hey Christopher,
>
> Thanks for checking out the installers.  Maybe I should have been a bit
> clearer in my email.  This isn't a release, just a test of the
> installers.  Eventually we'll make a branch for the release, but I don't
> think we're there yet.  We need to get more of the major functionality
> in before we do that.
>
> Are you guys planning a release soon (even a beta)?  It'd be nice, maybe
> by the beginning of June to have a tag of ptII to work off of.
>
> thanks,
> chad
>

> Christopher Brooks wrote:
>> Hi Chad,
>> Congrats on getting the installer out!
>>
>> I updated some of the Ptolemy models so that the text looks better under
>> Kepler.  Will you be making future releases from the SVN head or
>> is there a branch that should be updated.  If the branch should be
>> updated, then there will be a bunch of Ptolemy changes that need to go
>> in.
>>
>> _Christopher
>>

>> Chad Berkley wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I think we've talked about this before, but I think we need to
>>> re-name org.kepler.core.loader.Loader to something like
>>> org.kepler.core.loader.Kepler.  The problem I'm currently seeing is
>>> that when we execute Kepler on the mac, the class name shows up in
>>> the menu bar as the application that is being run.  I haven't found
>>> anyway around that, so I think it would look better to have
>>> org.kepler.core.loader.Kepler (or even, maybe take it out of the
>>> package, if that's possible, so that it's just 'Kepler' or maybe
>>> 'org.kepler.Kepler').
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>>
>>> Also, I've uploaded an installer for Windows and an installer for OSX
>>> to http://dist.kepler-project.org/dist/Kepler-1.0Dev  Please give
>>> them a try and let me know if you find any problems.  They both
>>> include R in the installation.  If you already have R, just uncheck
>>> the R installation.  Note that I have not figured a non-hackish way
>>> to alter the path to put R on the path (Ben, is there a way we can do
>>> this so R doesn't have to be on the path?), so if you do install R
>>> and want the R workflows to work,  you'll need to add R/bin to your
>>> path manually.  I'm hoping to figure that one out soon.  If you come
>>> across what you think is a bug, please try the same operation running
>>> Kepler from your local SVN directory first.  If the bug happens in
>>> the installed version and the SVN version, it is not an installer
>>> bug.  If you do find something that does work in SVN but not in the
>>> installed version, please create a new bug for it and make the bug
>>> block on bug 3949 so I can track them easier.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> chad

Christopher Brooks (cxh at eecs berkeley edu) University of California
ph: 510.643.9841 fax:510.642.2718	      (Office: 545Q Cory)
home: (F-Tu) 707.665.0131 (W-F) 510.655.5480