[kepler-dev] Kepler with JDK 1.6

David Welker david.v.welker at gmail.com
Thu May 7 10:51:09 PDT 2009

One thing to keep in mind is that neither Kepler nor Ptolemy need to
require 1.6 for your module to require it. The only downside is that
(and this a minor consideration for most developers) to the extent your
aim is to have your work released with the core of Kepler in the future,
if it requires 1.6 there would be a delay in the time we would be able
to integrate it because we would not be able to until we are willing to
require 1.6 for all of Kepler as well. So, unless you are the rare case
where you really want to integrate your work with core modules, it is
fine to require 1.6 for your own module.

As far as updating Kepler and worrying about whether it will compile,
right now it is not possible to update since the server in Santa Barbara
is down due to fires there. So, you are not going to be able to update
for a little bit. But, last time I updated, it compiled without a
problem. Of course, problems do crop up here and there, but I think we
have gotten better about keeping the core modules compiling all the
time, especially since a lot of work that used to go on in the core is
now taking place in modules outside the core.

David
> Hi Anne,
>
> For me, the gating issue for requiring JDK 1.6 is that Eclipse on
> the Mac works well.  See
> http://chess.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptexternal/wiki/Main/Mac#Eclipse1_6
> and then see the kepler-dev archives.  I believe that there
> were some workarounds that involved running Eclipse on the
> Mac under Java 1.5 and then selecting 1.6 for the runtime.
> This is a hack, and a small bar to entry to getting going, so
> I'm resistant to requiring 1.6 at this time.
>
> The upcoming Ptolemy release will ship with JDK 1.5, but
> will work under JDK 1.6.
>
> The DBConnection class work is a great step towards supporting
> JDK 1.6
>
> _Christopher
>
> David Welker wrote:
>> Anne,
>>
>> The DBConnection class (which was the problem class as far using JDK
>> 1.6 goes) has been moved to the cacheviewer module and is not in a
>> core module of Kepler. You should now be able to use Kepler with JDK
>> 1.6 now.
>>
>> David
>>
>>> Can someone let me know when Kepler will officially move to JDK 1.6?
>>>
>>> I have been working on making kepler's actor context-aware lately
>>> and my extension requires using JDK 1.6. Is there a way to manage
>>> different versions of JDK jar
>>> with the current  kepler build system? Can someone elaborate on how
>>> to do that?
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Anne