[kepler-dev] Kepler with JDK 1.6

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu May 7 10:35:46 PDT 2009

Hi Anne,

For me, the gating issue for requiring JDK 1.6 is that Eclipse on
the Mac works well.  See
http://chess.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptexternal/wiki/Main/Mac#Eclipse1_6
and then see the kepler-dev archives.  I believe that there
were some workarounds that involved running Eclipse on the
Mac under Java 1.5 and then selecting 1.6 for the runtime.
This is a hack, and a small bar to entry to getting going, so
I'm resistant to requiring 1.6 at this time.

The upcoming Ptolemy release will ship with JDK 1.5, but
will work under JDK 1.6.

The DBConnection class work is a great step towards supporting
JDK 1.6

_Christopher

David Welker wrote:
> Anne,
>
> The DBConnection class (which was the problem class as far using JDK 1.6
> goes) has been moved to the cacheviewer module and is not in a core
> module of Kepler. You should now be able to use Kepler with JDK 1.6 now.
>
> David
>
>> Can someone let me know when Kepler will officially move to JDK 1.6?
>>
>> I have been working on making kepler's actor context-aware lately and
>> my extension requires using JDK 1.6. Is there a way to manage
>> different versions of JDK jar
>> with the current  kepler build system? Can someone elaborate on how to
>> do that?
>>

>> Regards,
>> Anne

Christopher Brooks (cxh at eecs berkeley edu) University of California
ph: 510.643.9841 fax:510.642.2718	      (Office: 545Q Cory)
home: (F-Tu) 707.665.0131 (W-F) 510.655.5480