[kepler-dev] Forum for Kepler?

Peter Reutemann fracpete at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 20:04:50 PDT 2009

> Just a suggestion:
> Kepler is fun and exciting to use. With the number of users growing
> manifold, I think having a forum would make it much easier to navigate
> through common problems that people face or have encountered.
> Browsing and searching becomes much simpler in a forum such
> as: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum
> The Kepler site does have a forum. How about increasing activity there and
> diverting users to use that actively?

Personally, I prefer mailing lists. Especially, when the archives can
be searched (which I sorely miss from Kepler).

Here are the archives (you can easily navigate there if you just
follow the link to the Kepler mailing list info page that is attached
to each post):
  http://mercury.nceas.ucsb.edu/kepler/pipermail/kepler-dev/

The problem with a lot of forums is, that the nice thread structure
from mailing lists gets lost and makes navigating quite hard.
E.g., if somebody replies to a post, which is not the last one, this
will branch off the conversation (using e.g. Thunderbird's
thread-based view). In forums you quite often only see one long thread
without any structure, even though people reply to other posts than
the last one.

But that's my 2c...

Cheers, Peter
http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~fracpete/           Ph. +64 (7) 858-5174