[kepler-dev] "getting started" questions

Chad Berkley berkley at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Jun 3 10:42:51 PDT 2009

Hi Ken,

Were you running off of a kepler-1.0 release checked out from SVN or one
you downloaded (with and installer) from the web?  In any case, it's
weird that you didn't have those files unless maybe the checkout failed
half way through or something.

We're not currently doing any reasoning with the actor library
ontologies, but we're laying the groundwork for kepler to be able to
suggest possible workflow component connections between actors and to do
semantic type checking between inputs and outputs.  Some of this
functionality has been implemented as prototypes, though I'm not sure
how much (if any) of it currently works.

The plan originally was to let different domains classify their actors
the way that made sense to them in the actor library.  Since we haven't
had the tools to easily create the ontologies required, it's been hard
to get people to actually build new classifications.  The 4 ontologies
currently in kepler will stay and possibly more will be added.  I could
also see in the future that the ontologies themselves could be uploaded
to the component repository and shared amongst users.  I don't think
there are any concrete plans for that though.

We were trying to shoot for the middle of June for the 2.0 release, but
it's probably not going to happen as we envisioned it.  I'm guessing the
end of the summer or fall at this point, however, we should have some
alpha and beta releases sooner.

chad