[kepler-dev] actors' LSID numbers

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Feb 17 15:39:17 PST 2009

Hi,

Sorry it has taken a bit to resolve this LSID identifier issue.  The
old system of generating IDs was never meant to be a long-term
solution, and had many shortcomings, so we're not sad to have seen it
go away with the advent of the new build system.  However, we haven't
yet created a replacement.  So, for the time being, here's what you
should do and what we are planning to do regarding identifiers for
actors:

1) SHORT term: Use a unique LSID for your actor.  The actual sequence
is not important, as long as the LSID is unique.  One way to assure a
unique LSID is to use an authority that you control.  So, for example,
you might create an LSID like:
   urn:lsid:myproject.org:actor:54:1
This is the first revision of actor 54 in the 'actor' namespace' in
the 'myproject.org' authority.  So, if you control the 'myproject.org'
domain, then you can be sure your LSID will be unique.

2) MEDIUM term: We will create a build system target that allows you
to 'reserve' new unique IDs through our actor repository.  This will
be the replacement for the text file kludge that was in place before.

3) LONGer term: We will be designing a new identification system for
actors that can seamlessly allow actors to be identified, versioned,
and shipped as a package.  This may or may not depend on LSIDs.  This
new system will have mechanisms to work with both locally generated
actors and actors that were published in remote repositories, and it
will replace the existing identification system.

We'll work on updating the build documentation as well.

Hope this is helpful.  We'll send a note out when the build system
target has been created.

Regards,
Matt

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Sivaramakrishnan, Chandrika
<chandrika at pnl.gov> wrote:
> I was about to post a similar query. Thanks for bringing this up Dawid.
> Kepler developer tutorial mentions that the README file in actors
> directory has the last LSID used and that a new actor should update this
> to LSID+1 and use the same for both lsid:
> urn:lsid:kepler-project.org:kar and lsid:
> urn:lsid:kepler-project.org:actor. I think that is what is followed for
> actor LSID. But I see many manifest files with different number for
> lsid: urn:lsid:kepler-project.org:kar and lsid:
> urn:lsid:kepler-project.org:actor. Could someone clarify?
>
> Thanks
> Chandrika

Matthew B. Jones
Director of Informatics Research and Development
UC Santa Barbara
jones at nceas.ucsb.edu                       Ph: 1-907-523-1960
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/ecoinfo