[kepler-dev] Help with Pop Up Box in Kepler

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Apr 1 17:51:15 PDT 2009

If Derik's assumption is correct, then the two modules are the issue,
and switching from one to another causes the other to no longer be
built. Using a single module is the simplest solution.  However,  if
you do have a concrete reason for keeping the actors in separate
modules, you could create a third suite that depends upon the first
two, and then you would be able to build both modules at the same
time.  Wouldn't this work?

Matt

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Derik Barseghian
<barseghian at nceas.ucsb.edu> wrote:
> Hi Subhav,
>
> Just to be sure I understand your situation, am I right that your two actors
> are each in a suite of their own? That is, the UserIp suite contains the
> UserIp actor and the UserDecision suite contains the UserDecision actor?
> Unless you have a reason for two suites, I would instead just use one --
> create both actors in one suite.
>
> I think you're essentially trying to do the same thing as the hello-world
> tutorial, except with two suites each containing an actor, and you want the
> first actor available in the second suite. I think I was able to replicate
> the problem you're seeing by doing roughly the procedure attached below.
> I'll file a bug and we'll look into this. In the meantime, you might try
> putting your actors in one suite.
>
> Thanks,
> Derik
>
> ----------------------
> cd kepler.modules/build-area
> ant clean-cache
> ant change-to -Dsuite=kepler-1.0
> ant make-module-suite -Dname=hello-world
> ant change-to -Dsuite=hello-world
> cd ../hello-world/src
> mkdir org
> cd org
> [create the HelloWorld actor java file from the website]
> cd ../../../build-area/
> ant run
> instantiate HelloWorld actor
> Right click on actor, Export to Kar, saving class file
> Quit Kepler
>
> ant clean-cache
> ant change-to -Dsuite=kepler-1.0
> ant run
> File => Import Archive (the hello world actor)
> Dialog (that stretches beyond the length of one monitor): The id of the
> actor or workflow you are trying to import already exists [snip] Would you
> like to change the id of your actor to the next available id?" (Click Yes)
> Error: Error inserting the kar file into the cache: Id already exists in the
> cache: Error creating KARCacheObject: lib/jar/org.helloworld.HelloWorld.jar
> (No such file or directory).
>

> On Apr 1, 2009, at 3:27 PM, subhav mital wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>> Thanks for that.
>>
>> Let me explain again.
>> I have created two actors named: 1) UserIp and 2) UserDecision
>>
>> -Now, the only way I can execute the UserIp actor is by using ant
>> change-to -Dsuite=UserIp. (This is the only way, since a) The first time I
>> create this actor and save it in the library and drag it to the window, I
>> get an error: "Change Failed: Cannot create entity without a class name.in
>> [external stream] at line 1 column 29 and b) if I export it as a KAR and
>> then then import it again, I get errors again)
>>
>> - Suppose that I want to instantiate a UserDecision actor into my
>> workspace, I have to again type ant change-to -Dsuite=UserDecision. for this
>> actor to work. A previously saved actor into my library or an exported KAR
>> does not work.

> [...]

Matthew B. Jones
Director of Informatics Research and Development
UC Santa Barbara
jones at nceas.ucsb.edu                       Ph: 1-907-523-1960
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/ecoinfo