[kepler-dev] proxy problems

Peter Reutemann fracpete at waikato.ac.nz
Wed Nov 26 13:52:21 PST 2008

Hi everybody

I got a question for the Kepler gurus: is it possible to have a Kepler
instance running that does *not* attempt to access the internet at
all? E.g., turning off accessing EcoGrid services?

The reason I'm asking is that it took me ages figuring out why my
laptop (on a wireless network with proxy authentication for internet
access) couldn't start up Kepler. Kepler was always hanging after some
initial I/O, still displaying the splash screen. Only after adding the
"-verbose" flag to the Java call in the kepler.sh script, did I find
out, that it may be related to timeout issues due to attempted
internet access (Java was loading web related classes, e.g.,
sun.net.util.IPAddressUtils and sun.net.www.http.HttpClient just
before Kepler stopped). And when I plugged my laptop into the wired
network, it worked!
Then the hunt for proxy parameters started, but I couldn't figure out
where to set "Kepler-global" proxy settings and resorted to finding a
way for turning off the Kepler-functionality attempting to access the
internet. The only solution that worked for me was modifying the
"repositoryBundle.properties" file in the
"$KEPLER/configs/ptolemy/configs/kepler" directory, using "localhost"
as the server address for the following properties:
  keplerRepository.registrypath
  keplerRepository.registryauth

My Kepler build is not really the newest (if I'm not mistaken: trunk,
rev 8022), so this issue might have been resolved already.

Any input is appreciated!

Cheers, Peter
http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~fracpete/           Ph. +64 (7) 858-5174