[kepler-dev] Reg. ptolemy Jar files

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 11 10:20:10 PDT 2006

Hi Sivagowri,
Kepler does not use ptolemy.backtrack, so that can be excluded.
A Ptolemy developer is actively developing in ptolemy.backtrack,
so we are seeing a few errors.  I'll take a look at the backtrack
problem.

The fastest way to get started with Kepler is to grab a snapshot.
The second fastest way is to install ant and then follow the
instructions in kepler/INSTALL.  This builds a subset of Ptolemy
and Kepler.  If you go with this way and find bugs in INSTALL,
please let us know.  I think the problem you are seeing is that
either you have not installed ant from
     http://ant.apache.org/
or it is not in your path or $ANT_HOME is not set.
Your path should include $ANT_HOME/bin

The third fastest way is to set up Eclipse.

Briefly answering your questions:
ptolemy.jar is the Kepler specific ptolemy jar file.  It should be
renamed ptcore.jar or ptkepler.jar or something.  ptolemy.jar is
usually built by running (cd $KEPLER; ant ptolemy).

I'll take a look at why configure is crapping out with Java3D.

Gotta run.
_Christopher
--------

    Hi Matt and christopher

    Thanks for your feed back. I deleted the whole ptlemy files, got a fresh
    copy from CVS and found that the .classpath.default exists in the PTII
    directory. I used Eclipse and created the project and built it.
    I had only one error in the package ptolemy.backtrack.plugin.util
    environment.java

    getRefactoredFile method:

    This method was using java String class' replace method for replacing two
    Strings whereas the replace method is only for characters.

    after getting around from this, I was able to build ptolemy. The buld was
    successful but unfortunately, I got all the jars in the PTII\lib directory
    except for ptolemy.jar and ptolemy-doc.jar.

    I even ran ptolemy from the eclipse environment and it worked fine.

    am I missing anything? why doesnt the ptolemy.jar file get built even thoug
    the build was successful?

    Then I tried cygwin method.

    I typed ./configure and again I got the same two errors regarding the
    installation of  java3d and quicktime. Not sure why configure did not
    exclude the ptolemy.domains.gr and the othe rdirectories.

    I tried to use ant ptolemy by
    cd $kepler as well as $PTII but I got an error saying, command not found.

    so right now, I want to use the eclipse method to get ptolemy built, so as
    to get kepler built.

    can you please help me out of this situation? I have a deadline by tomorrow
   .

    Thanx
    Siva