Exec actor (was Re: [kepler-dev] 2d display widget?)

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Jul 29 14:59:09 PDT 2004

The Java exec() is rather crude.

My understanding is that we want to read from Process as we go along
because there are limits to the size of the buffer.  I vaguely
remember there also being problems if we did not start reading
from the Process rather promptly.

The Exec actor I hacked up is documented at
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptII4.0/ptII4.0/doc/codeDoc/ptolemy/actor/lib/Exec.html
The documentation has a typo in one of the resource URLs, the correct
URL is
http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-12-2000/jw-1229-traps.html
another URL is
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/exec.html

-Christopher

--------

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Dan Higgins wrote:

    > dir which uses an actor called 'InteractiveExec'. This was a rought

    Why does the Exec / InteractiveExec actor spawn off threads to 'gobble'
    input from the underlying process's stdout?

    Would it be possible to just let the operating system buffer the standard
    i/o streams, and then read all available data from stdout in the fire()
    method?

    Tobin