[kepler-dev] Re: right click bug with linux and OSX

Christopher Hylands Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Sat Jul 17 08:59:51 PDT 2004

It looks like the problem was with $PTII/diva/canvas/JCanvas.java.

I've posted an updated version of JCanvas.java to
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/~cxh/tmp/diva/

Note that merely compiling JCanvas.java is not sufficient,
lib/diva.jar also needs to be updated.

I'm hoping to release Ptolemy II 4.0.1 with this change and some other
changes.

It would be a big help if Linux and Mac OS X users could try out this
change and let me know if there are problems.

Things to check:
       - Right mouse brings up the context menu for the model
       - Right mouse brings up the context menu for an actor
       - Shortcut keys like Control-L on an actor does look inside
       - Control-right click creates a relation.
       - Input or output ports can be connected to a relation
       To do this, create an input port by clicking on the icon
       in the tool bar
       Then do control-left click to create a relation
       Then do control-left click again near the relation to create a link
       and connect to the input port
       (The above works for me under Windows, I have not tried it on
       the Mac or Linux lately)

Interestingly, upgrading to Java 1.5 seems to also solve the problem,
which leads me to suspect a bug in Java 1.4 is part of the problem.

-Christopher

--------

    I plan on poking around on this tomorrow.  The problem is likely the
    MacOS X changes - I probably missed something when merging change from
    the devel tree into the release branch.  I did a couple of diffs
    before between the devel tree and the release branch before the
    release, but I must have missed it.

    It would help if someone with CVS access can try MacOSX and/or Linux
    to see if the problem is in the devel tree or just the 4.0 release.
    I don't think 4.0-beta had the Mac OS X changes in it, hence the
    change between 4.0-beta and 4.0

    BTW - Have you tried Java 1.5?

    Bart Kienhuis wrote:

    > I have found similar problems when running PTII version 0.4 on a linux
    > system. After trying various JDKs, I found that none works until
    > 1.4.2_05. But, in JDK 1.5.0 the problems is apparently solved and the
    > menu windows does appears normally, as expected. Seems that it does not
    > happen on WIndows, but only on Linux. Therefore, I think it is a JDK
    > error and not a PTII error.

    -Christopher

    --------

        On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Chad Berkley wrote:

        > >> A few of us in the Kepler group have been seeing a bug with PT4 on
        > >> linux and OSX.  When you right click on an actor, the context menu
        > >> shows up for about 1/16th of a second then immediately goes away.

        Any info on this problem?  It shows up in Ptolemy 4.0-release but not
        4.0-beta on SuSE linux.

        --tobin