[kepler-dev] Ptolemy II UI

Edward A Lee eal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Jul 16 21:39:05 PDT 2004

Thanks Xiaowen for pointing out this problem... Indeed, the MoML parser was
turning off the mechanism for skipping errors too soon... I've checked a fix
into the Ptolemy II tree...

(Christopher: the fix is in moml.MoMLParser.

Edward

At 10:23 AM 7/1/2004 -0700, xiaowen wrote:
>Hi Edward,
>
>Thanks for the response.
>
>I've attached a workflow that shows this problem in Ptolemy II 4.0.
>
>To create this workflow, I basically took a valid workflow and manually
>edited it to change the _location property from something like [85.0,
>45.0] to (85.0, 45.0).  Since the MoML parser doesn't recognize the usage
>of the parenthesis, it gives many errors.  The error dialogs don't have
>the 'Skip remaining errors' button, so there's no way that I could see to
>stop the series of error dialogs.
>
>This example is slightly contrived since users don't normally edit
>workflows manually.  While we were using the graphical tool to create a
>simple workflow, there was an instance where something similar
>(unstoppable series of error dialogs) happened, but I don't remember the
>exact circumstances.  It might have occurred during type resolution. I'll
>let you know I encounter this issue again in a different context.
>
>Thanks!
>Xiaowen
>

>Edward A Lee wrote:
>
>>Xiaowen:
>>Thanks for pointing these out...
>>These are clearly bugs in Ptolemy II, so I don't think it makes
>>sense to fix them in Kepler independently...  We'll get them fixed
>>in Ptolemy II.
>>Can you send me a concrete model illustrating the second one?
>>The 4.0 release is out, so this will have to be provided as a patch
>>or in a 4.1 release.
>>Edward
>>
>>At 11:25 AM 6/29/2004 -0700, xiaowen wrote:
>>
>>>Hi All,
>>>
>>>After meeting with customers for SPA and watching them play with Ptolemy
>>>II, we noticed a couple of small annoyances with the Ptolemy II UI.
>>>
>>>1. If you right-click on an actor and select "Configure Ports", make
>>>some changes to the ports, then close the window without clicking
>>>"Apply" or "Commit" first, Ptolemy II will happily close the window and
>>>discard all changes.  This happened many times during our session where
>>>we clicked the little 'X' in the corner to close the window, and had to
>>>redo all our port configuration.  It would be nicer if a window popped
>>>up warning users that changes will be discarded, and giving them the
>>>opportunity at that time to save the changes.
>>>
>>>2. The "Skip remaining errors" button doesn't seem to always appear and
>>>doesn't skip all remaining errors.  As an example of this, take a model
>>>created in Ptolemy II 4.0-beta and open it in Ptolemy II 3.0.2.
>>>The first error dialog gives me the "Skip remaining errors" button, but
>>>when I click it, I'm still confronted with a series of error dialogs,
>>>where I'm forced to continue clicking "Skip element" many times before
>>>the model gets displayed.  It would be nice if there were a button to
>>>click that would skip errors of all kinds and just go ahead and display
>>>the model to the best of its ability.

> [...]

Edward A. Lee, Professor
518 Cory Hall, UC Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720
phone: 510-642-0455, fax: 510-642-2739
eal at eecs.Berkeley.EDU, http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/~eal