[kepler-dev] Re: [Fwd: Biodiversity indices update]

Daniel Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Jul 12 10:11:32 PDT 2004

Deanna,

I did look over the Biodivesity Index document you sent last week and I
set down this weekend and created a Composite actor that calculates many
of the indices using only the 'expressions' actor that is part of PTII.
That sample workflow has been checked into CVS (and is attached to this
email). You might want to try it out by downloading PTII4.0 from the
Ptolemy site and then opening the file.

The actor calculates Richness-Margalef, Richness-Menhinick, Shannon's
Index, Simpson's lamda, Hill's 3 'Nx' indices, and the 5 'Evenness'
parameters from the document you provided.  The input is an array of
number densities for a set of species. It is ridiculously simple in the
example, but can be tied to any array of arbitrary size with some
additional data prep actors. Some screen shots are attached.

This is an example of how someone can create an actor for a specific
task without having to write any Java code. In particular, the
'expressions' actor can be used to evaluate a wide variey of equations.
Also, Composite actors are easier to work with in PTII 4.0 than before,
so that one can easily create conceptual workflow (i.e. generic
workflows without implelemtations by simply creating a set of
unimplemented Composite actors. Adding ports to these Composite actors
is much easier that it used to be,  as can be seen in the Port dialog
shown below. Note that port names can be displayed, and some unused
ports can be hidden.

Comments and corrections always appreciated!

Dan

Part of Main screen

Inside the Composite actor

Composite actor Port dialog