[tcs-lc] difference between IsParentOf/IsChildOf; and Includes/IsIncludedIn RelationshipTypes?

Nozomi Ytow nozomi at biol.tsukuba.ac.jp
Fri Sep 23 06:58:48 PDT 2005

> > My understanding of what Rich wrote above is that in cases where
> > we've not yet have appropriate scientific name Rotifera
> > using include/inculded between Aus bus and rotifer is unecessary
> > dicouraged.

> I don't understand.

What I meant is that:

If there is a scientific name of a higher rank which is congruent to
a vernacular name in a sigle context (i.e. publication), then Rich
does not encourage to represent a relationship between a taxon with
a scientific name in the scientific named concept and the vernacular
concept by include/included

is not contradict to

if there is no scientific name of a higher rank which is congruent to
a vernacular name in a sigle context (i.e. publication), then James
would use include/included to represent a relationship between a
scientific named taxon in the verncular concept of rank-ish higher
than the taxon.

Is it clear?

> > If Rotifer[a?] is available and it matches to rotifer
> > perfectly,
> ...then "Vernacular rotifer is congruent to scientific Rotifera"

Agreed, and thanks for correction.

> > but if rotifer is broder than Rotifera....?
> ...then "Vernacular rotifer includes scientific Rotifera"
> or, if no higher scientific name than "Aus bus", then:
> "Vernacular rotifer includes scientific Aus bus"

Exactly.

(following issues are posted separately)
--
JMS