[tcs-lc] difference between IsParentOf/IsChildOf; and Includes/IsIncludedIn RelationshipTypes?

Kennedy, Jessie J.Kennedy at napier.ac.uk
Thu Sep 22 04:22:51 PDT 2005

> > I would only create the child of from your own genus i.e A8 - A4
> > If you wanted to make a statement about A1,A2,A3 I would specify an
> > includes/excludes or whatever between A4 and A1, A2, A3
>
> Right!  Agreed!  So Parent/Child relationships should probably not be
> established between two TaxonConcept instances with different
> AccordingTo's.
> Instead, Includes/Included in should be used.
>
> BUT!!! What if I provide a clear definition of "T. thisspecies SEC
me",
> but
> I do *not* provide a complete definition for "Thisgenus SEC me".  Do I
> then
> establish an "Is Child" relationship with one of the other (different
> AccordingTo) Concepts for "Thisgenus"?

No

>Or do I establish an "Is Child"
> relationship to the nominal concept for "Thisgenus"?  Or, do I simply
> define
> an "included in" relationship with one of the other defined concepts
of
> "Thisgenus"? Or...?

It's the last or... I think
When it comes to concepts there will be many concepts that some people
think are well defined (or defined enough for their purposes) that
others may find inadequate I believe. So your "This genus SEC me" may
only be defined by the fact that you have a has child "T. thisspecies
SEC me" - that doesn't mean it's a nominal concept just a poorly defined
one that others may choose to use or not.

In my opinion Nominal concepts should have no relationships to other
concepts except the implicit (possible implemented explicitly)
relationships to all concepts (from the best to the poorest defined)
that share the same TaxonName object.

> Maybe there is no one correct answer -- but my point here is in trying
> discover what function the Parent/Child RelationshipType serves that
is
> not
> essentially identically served by "includes/included in".

I still like both.....

Jessie

This message is intended for the addressee(s) only and should not be read, copied or disclosed to anyone else outwith the University without the permission of the sender.
It is your responsibility to ensure that this message and any attachments are scanned for viruses or other defects. Napier University does not accept liability for any loss
or damage which may result from this email or any attachment, or for errors or omissions arising after it was sent. Email is not a secure medium. Email entering the
University's system is subject to routine monitoring and filtering by the University.