[tcs-lc] handling of ex authors

Gregor Hagedorn G.Hagedorn at BBA.DE
Thu Sep 22 01:54:23 PDT 2005

Roger wrote:
> NameObjects (soon to be TaxonNames) can have a 'BasedOn' link to another
> name. This allows for explicitly indicating that this name is the
> validation of a previously used name that was not validly published.
>
> This mechanism is probably a clearer way of showing the origins of a
> name than trying to indicate it within the author string.

Unfortunately, this may not be the solution. It is fine for finished
nomenclators, but people writing descriptions will very often not have the data
that allow them to create another taxon name object for the purpose of
expressing the name.

Basically, biologist work naively with names representations, and it takes
significant time (and may be impossible) to figure out the data relations
behind such a name-string.

That is why it almost seems to me, that applied schemata may need a different
(modified/extended) structure than fundamental approaches such as tcs. I am not
sure about this, and how practical it is to ask people to introduce multiple
"dummies" objects when the desire is mainly to express a name in structured
form - often simply for stupid formatting purposes!

Gregor Hagedorn (G.Hagedorn at bba.de)
Institute for Plant Virology, Microbiology, and Biosafety
Federal Research Center for Agriculture and Forestry (BBA)
Königin-Luise-Str. 19           Tel: +49-30-8304-2220
14195 Berlin, Germany           Fax: +49-30-8304-2203