[tcs-lc] For completeness - handling of ex authors

Roger Hyam roger at hyam.net
Wed Sep 21 03:17:26 PDT 2005

Looks like Art 46.4 and 46.5 to me:

http://www.bgbm.org/iapt/nomenclature/code/SaintLouis/0050Ch4Sec3a046.htm

My reading of the code is that this is an optional 'nice to have' way of
quoting the authorship of the name.

What will need to be stressed if we add the flag is that the authors
that come *before* the 'ex' in the author string will be the ones that
have to have the 'ex' role.

/Ex. 15./ Seemann (1865) published / Gossypium tomentosum/ "Nutt. mss.",
followed by a validating description not ascribed to Nuttall; the name
may be cited as / G. tomentosum/ Nutt. ex Seem. or / G. tomentosum / Seem.

Nutt. has role 'ex' whilst Seem. has role 'default' (he is a regular
author).

I imagine this will add much confusion, many errors and may outweigh the
advantages of including the 'ex' authors at all.

The purpose of having an author string is to disambiguate the
mono/bi/trinomial.  Could some one give me an example of two names based
on separate types with the same author and year but different 'ex'
authors? In other words give me an example where quoting the 'ex'
authors are the only way to disambiguate the names. I suspect these
examples are like hen's teeth. In which case we could drop support for
'ex' authors altogether - but this might not get popular support!

Roger

Paul Kirk wrote:

>'ex' is an integral part of the author citation (although always (in Botany) optional wrt what comes before it) whereas 'in' is a connecting term to link the author citation with the first elements of a bibliographic reference and is typically used where the name(s) in the author citation are different from the author(s) of the item of literature (if they are the same, no 'in' citation is required).
>
>The Code makes good reading for insomniacs ...
>
>Paul

 Roger Hyam
 Biodiversity Informatics
 Independent Web Development
 http://www.hyam.net  roger at hyam.net
 2 Janefield Rise, Lauder, TD2 6SP, UK.
 T: +44 (0)1578 722782 M: +44 (0)7890 341847