[tcs-lc] Name-Name Relationships vs. Concept-Conceptrelationships

Roger Hyam roger at hyam.net
Wed Sep 21 02:02:59 PDT 2005

If we were to use the same mechanism in NameObjects for
NomenclaturalNotes that we use in TaxonConcepts for Relationships (i.e.
allow for an arbitrary list of name-name relationships with an attribute
to indicate the type of each relationship) then we would lose all
control over cardinality within name-name relationships. A name would,
for instance, be able to have multiple basionyms.

As the design goal is to attempt to restrict name-name relationships to
those that are in the nomenclatural codes the current design would
appear to be preferable.

I knew there was a reason for us going with this layout I just couldn't
recall it when we were in St Petersburg.

I am therefore going agree with Sally and punt this into the long grass
(version 2 maybe) unless some one has some other compelling reason to
keep it on.

Roger

 Roger Hyam
 Biodiversity Informatics
 Independent Web Development
 http://www.hyam.net  roger at hyam.net
 2 Janefield Rise, Lauder, TD2 6SP, UK.
 T: +44 (0)1578 722782 M: +44 (0)7890 341847