[tcs-lc] element names of 'name'

Sally Hinchcliffe S.Hinchcliffe at rbgkew.org.uk
Wed Sep 21 01:14:15 PDT 2005

While we're on minor changes - can we avoid element names of name?
(for instance 'Name' in AgentName and 'Name' - a completely different
kind of name - in TaxonConcept)
Quite apart from being confusing and making me think of Alice Through
the Looking Glass, giving things the name 'Name' is bad practice in
database design and programming design so I suspect it's also bad
practice in schema design.
For author names, in Botany at least, we would use either 'standard
form' or 'abbreviation' anyway as you rarely use the full name
particularly for the older authors. Zoologists may differ but at
least AuthorName would be clear.
Another one I've raised with Roger but wanted to bring out into
discussion
Sally
*** Sally Hinchcliffe
*** Computer section, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
*** tel: +44 (0)20 8332 5708
*** S.Hinchcliffe at rbgkew.org.uk