[tcs-lc] Incertae Sedis, and broader issues

Nozomi Ytow nozomi at biol.tsukuba.ac.jp
Mon Sep 19 14:21:39 PDT 2005

Hi Rich,

> So you agree that it involves Ranks?

I don't think that I've ever disagree in relevance to rank.

> Does incertae sedis ever exist without dependancy on ranks?

I can't imagine such case.

> Also, when you say "one of these TaxonConcepts may or
> may not exist", is it ever the child that might not exist?
> Or, if one is missing, is it always the parent?

I don't understand how one can declare incertae cedis without
the lower rank object.  The higher rank could be implicit and/or
scope dependent and hence its record may or may not be exist
in the source database.

JMS