[tcs-lc] Minor modifications prior TDWG ratification vote

Jerry Cooper CooperJ at landcareresearch.co.nz
Sun Sep 18 05:47:00 PDT 2005

All,

I'm not sure I agree with this simplistic interpretaion of incertae sedis. I thought it meant
 the author could not place it in any of the existing  named higher ranks in his circumscription of the taxon (which incorporates a concept of the higher classification). e.g. that none of the existing families in a particular classification he wishes to adopt is suitable for his taxon. Thus incertae sedis carries concept information, as does any component of the higher classification applied to a taxon. In my opinion it is a necessary statement about the absence of information and not just a lack of data.

Jerry

>>> "Donald Hobern" <dhobern at gbif.org> 18/09/2005 11:33:56 a.m. >>>
For what it's worth, I feel the same as Rich on this.  The TCS should not
attempt to be a vehicle for transfer of all information in a taxonomic
document - only of that which can in some way be used.

Donald

Donald Hobern (dhobern at gbif.org)
Programme Officer for Data Access and Database Interoperability
Global Biodiversity Information Facility Secretariat
Universitetsparken 15, DK-2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Tel: +45-35321483   Mobile: +45-28751483   Fax: +45-35321480