[tcs-lc] Another relationship type "sensu"?

Nozomi Ytow nozomi at biol.tsukuba.ac.jp
Sat Sep 17 16:45:13 PDT 2005

Suppose that Jones (1942) says

"Aus bus in Smith (1935) is differnt from the original definition of
Aus bus in Smith (1929) in such such even though Smith does not
realise the distinction.  Aus bus Smith should be such such.",

and Smith (1947) says

"the assertion on Aus bus in Jones (194) is based on
misunderstanding of Smith (1929) and Smith (1935); I did make any
change".

To caputre such senario, we use following recored in Nomencurator with
(say) potential taxon ID PTID, to express distionction in Jones(1942)
might be author's misunderstanding so might be the author's own concept:

(PTID1, "Aus bus", PTID1, "Smith 1929")
(PTID2, "Aus bus", PTID1, "Smith 1935")
(PTID3, "Aus bus", PTID1, "Jones 1942")
(PTID4, "Aus bus", PTID2, "Jones 1942")
(PTID5, "Aus bus", PTID5, "Jones 1942")
(PTID6, "Aus bus", PTID3, "Smith 1947")
(PTID7, "Aus bus", PTID4, "Smith 1947")
(PTID8, "Aus bus", PTID1, "Smith 1947")

where the first PTID is PTID of the record, the second PTID is "sensu"
field, and such as "Smith 1929" is pointer to (micro-) reference.

I understand TaxconConcept/.../Relationship is the place for the
second PTID, but what relationship type should be used?  A candidate is
"in concgruent to", but I think it is an abuse.  If there is no
appropriate relationship type, I suggest to add "seneu" to the
enumeration, parhaps just before "other" relationship type.

I need an advice from Roger or Jessie BTW.  What TaxonConcept at type
value is appropriate for PTID2 to PTID8 records above to assign?
"revison" for all?  The annotation on TaxonConcept at type

The optional enumerated type of the Concept may reflect which data
elements are  provided.

doesn't help me.  Don't we need to state in the annotation which type
mean what may provided?  If the type implies may-be-available
elements, choice of type names could be cause of (emotional)
misunderstanding .  Isn't it better to change to streightforward type
names such as "with description", "w/o AccrodingTo"?  User guide is
very helpful, but we shouldn't rely on too much to external docuemnts.

Cheers,
JMS