[tcs-lc] policy for relationships in TCS

Kennedy, Jessie J.Kennedy at napier.ac.uk
Fri May 13 08:02:39 PDT 2005

Dear All,

   Following recent discussions we had about relationships within taxon concepts and assertion relationships concerning one or more taxon concepts we thought it would be useful to clarify this aspect of the TCS structure in case it wasn't clear to everyone. It especially concerns the practice of establishing concept
relationships. We intend to place this convention into the developing
TCS documentation and user manual.

   As you know the TCS allows taxonomic experts to express relationships
between concepts in two distinct places: (1) as an integral part of the
TaxonConcept structure, and (2) separate from TaxonConcepts under
RelationshipAssertions. Sometimes the latter are called
"Third-Party-Relationships."

   If an expert asserts relationships between two concepts that were
both authored at an earlier time, then by default these assessments are
allocated to place (2), i.e. outside the TaxonConcepts section. Example:
Brachycerinae sec. Kuschel (1995)  >  Brachycerinae sec. Marvaldi &
Morrone (2000), asserted according to Franz (2005; the external third
party).

   The TCS allows more choices if an expert simultaneously authors
concepts AND asserts concept relationships. In that case, he or she has
the option of placing the relationships inside the newly authored
TaxonConcepts OR outside in the RelationshipAssertions.

   We recommend the former solution (1) if the author wishes to make the
relationship to another concept an integral part of the new concept
definiton. Note that we are not necessarily talking about parent-child
relationships. Earlier, external concepts may be used as well to nail
down the meaning of a newly published concept. Example: Ranunculus
abortivus L. sec. Kartesz (2004)  = =  Ranunculus abortivus L. sec. FNA
(1997), where Kartesz (2004) places this relationship into the
TaxonConcept definition to indicate that the newly published 2004
concept is defined (!) by its relationship to the FNA 1997 concept.

   We recommend the latter solution (2) if the author does not think of the
relationship as an integral part of his or her new concept definition.
Perhaps other data (diagnosis, included concepts, etc.) are sufficient
to specify the present meaning. Or the relationship to earlier concepts
is not so clear as to nail down the new definition exactly how the
author wants it to be. Example: Equisetum hyemale L. ssp. affine
(Engelmann) Calder & R.L. Taylor sec. Weakley (2005)  >  E. hyemale var.
affine (Engelmann) A.A. Eaton sec. Radford, Ahles & Bell (1968), as
asserted by Weakley (2005). Here the latter author does not wish to
define his new concept via its (inclusive) relationship to the 1968
concept. Rather, Weakley intends to provide readers with a "guide" to
understanding the taxonomic legacy. The precise definition of his new
concept lies in the diagnosis and explanatory comments.

   No matter what option an author chooses at the time of authoring a
concept, the possibility of authoring another (now by default)
third-party relationship at a later time remains. Such a reassessment
would "coexist" with the earlier relationship.

   We think that this convention of assigning concept relationships
inside vs. outside of the TaxonConcepts section is sensible. It is
something that experts will appreciate as guidance when defining
concepts and their relationships.

With best wishes,

Nico, Jessie, Bob (Peet), Roger and Robert
This message is intended for the addressee(s) only and should not be read, copied or disclosed to anyone else outwith the University without the permission of the sender.
It is your responsibility to ensure that this message and any attachments are scanned for viruses or other defects. Napier University does not accept liability for any loss
or damage which may result from this email or any attachment, or for errors or omissions arising after it was sent. Email is not a secure medium. Email entering the
University's system is subject to routine monitoring and filtering by the University.