[tcs-lc] enumeration of relationsihp types

Roger Hyam roger at hyam.net
Wed May 11 06:22:50 PDT 2005

Hi James,

The primary use of the schema is to communicate between machines so the
consuming software has to have some idea what it is going to do with a
relationship (either as part of an assertion or as part of a concept
definition) when it arrives. If we have 'free form' relationships then
we lose this.

Having said this I don't imagine all implementation being able to use
all the relationship types in the schema as it stands so there may be an
argument for an extension mechanism. I have added it to the tracker
(http://tracker.hyam.net) as issue 011 so we don't forget it.

Homonyms are dealt with as part of the NameObject. If a name is a later
homonym of another name then you can add a pointer to the older name.

Could you give an example of a relationship we haven't thought of?

Hope this helps,

Roger