[tcs-lc] nameObjects, spellings, vernaculars, etc

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Fri May 6 08:41:57 PDT 2005

> If you want to represent an alternative spelling of a name use a
> TaxonConcept and/or a NameObject and relationships to express it
> as a misspelling of the name.

Which element would contain the misspelled name? Would each misspelled name
get its own NameObject instance (i.e., its own GUID) -- separate from the
"code-correct" version of what would otherwise be the "same name" (=same
protologue)?

For example, would you have this situation:

<NameObjects>
  <NameObject id="N001">
    <Label>Asterropterix</Label>
    <Rank>genus</Rank>
    <CanonicalName>
      <Simple>Asterropterix</Simple>
      <Uninominal>Asterropterix</Uninominal>
    </CanonicalName>
    <CanonicalAuthorship>
      <Simple>Rüppell, 1830</Simple>
      <ProtonymAuthorship>
        <Simple>Rüppell, 1830</Simple>
        <Year>1830</Year>
        <Authors>
          <Name>Rüppell</Name>
        </Authors>
      </ProtonymAuthorship>
    </CanonicalAuthorship>
  </NameObject>
  <NameObject id="N002">
    <Label>Asterropteryx</Label>
    <Rank>genus</Rank>
    <CanonicalName>
      <Simple>Asterropteryx</Simple>
      <Uninominal>Asterropteryx</Uninominal>
    </CanonicalName>
    <CanonicalAuthorship>
      <Simple>Rüppell, 1830</Simple>
      <ProtonymAuthorship>
        <Simple>Rüppell, 1830</Simple>
        <Year>1830</Year>
        <Authors>
          <Name>Rüppell</Name>
        </Authors>
      </ProtonymAuthorship>
    </CanonicalAuthorship>
 </NameObject>
</NameObjects>

> Just for the record a NameObject is a data structure for holding
> pieces of data that resemble scientific biological names governed
> by one of the codes ICBN, ICZN, ICNCP etc. It is not just for
> validly/effectively/accepted/nice names you can store anything you
> like in it that appears like it might be code compliant.
> You can then make up TaxonConcepts that use it and synonymise these
> concepts into the ones you like.  It really is pretty simple.

It may be simple, but as you decribe it, I don't think that a "NameObject"
meets the needs of the LC group. I'm not sure what you mean, exactly, by
"validly/effectively/accepted/nice", beacause each of those four words can
have different meanings.

Aloha,