[Tcs-lc] Name of NomenCode

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Mon Mar 28 23:59:35 PST 2005

I have to say that I am still not comfortable with the idea of treating it
as "Locale".  To me, this is "Language", or "Dialect", or perhaps even
"grammar" -- but none of those words quite captures the role of the Codes of
Nomenclature.

To me, the codes are more fundamental than this.  In fact, I think it is a
mistake to treat the different editions (3rd, 4th/Tokyo, St. Loius/etc.) of
each Code differently.  The "NomenCode" (or whatever it's called) should
represent the "Domain" of scientific names, and different versions of each
Code do not constitute different domains.  Each zoological name should exist
as a name object only once unde ICZN.  Alternative versions of the name as
they would appear under alternate versions of the Code should be treated as
orthographic variants.  We should only concern ourselves with the "current
version" of each Code.

Rich