[tcs-lc] Next 4 days...

Gregor Hagedorn G.Hagedorn at BBA.DE
Wed Mar 16 04:18:08 PST 2005

> > 1900: Aus xus published
> > 1901: Bus xus published
> >
> > 2000: Bus xus recombined to Cus xus (1901) 2000
> > 2001: Aus xus recombined to Cus xus (1900) 2001
> >
> > Which homony of Cus xus has priority - based on publication or
> > protonym or on date of recomination?

As confirmed by Paul Kirk, ICBN says "Cus xus (1901) 2000".
According to Rich ICZN says "Cus xus (1900) 2001".

Which would make some sense, and which is why in botany you need to record
combinations (otherwise priority of homonymic combinations can not be
established) and in Zoology you don't.

I think this is not too difficult to reconcile. Both in Zoo and Bot first
recombination citation may be recorded or unknown. In botany, quality control
would require you to ultimatley add this knowledge. In zoology you might do it
(no harm I believe, and zoologists have told me that some workers actually do
it even if not required by ICZN), but you can permanently leave it at unknown.

The important point which as I believe LC 1.6 did not work (it worked only for
Zoology!) and which I pointed out without further replies on the wiki last
december, is that EVEN if the authorship is currently still unknown we need to
know whether a record is a recombination or not. This is why I proposed
creation type or whatever - but there may be other solutions to this.

Gregor Hagedorn (G.Hagedorn at bba.de)
Institute for Plant Virology, Microbiology, and Biosafety
Federal Research Center for Agriculture and Forestry (BBA)
Königin-Luise-Str. 19           Tel: +49-30-8304-2220
14195 Berlin, Germany           Fax: +49-30-8304-2203