[tcs-lc] Next 4 days...

Gregor Hagedorn G.Hagedorn at BBA.DE
Wed Mar 16 03:49:13 PST 2005

> > I belief if you have homonyms, you cannot put the LSID on a level
> > that combines
> > the homonyms. Homonyms are not known a priori, but detected. So
> > each of the
> > homonymic nomenclatural objects needs its own LSID (or other GUID).
>
> If you mean that a pair of homonyms should get separate GUIDs, I agree
> completely!

I think we agree, but that means that the publication is not on an entirely
different level of detail. If you say an name is "defined" by three protonym
elements, it means that no two name objects may be identical in these elements.
I try to point out, that while discussing only the name parts, you implicitly
define the name object through further attributes, as are type and publication.

Type seems to be not enough to me, rarely two authors choose the same type.
Haven't heard of two different authors choosing the same type and creating
homonyms, but actually I know a couple of cases where the SAME author did that,
by accidentially publishing a name twice.

> > Assume two people create
> >
> > Concept1 based on: Genus speciesname1 Author1
> > Concept2 based on: Genus speciesname1 Author2
> >
> > not knowing the the two nomenclatural objects are homonymic, this
> > must then at
> > a LATER time be resolved by appropriate mapping of nomenclatural
> > and concept
> > IDs.
>
> By "speciesname1", I assume you mean in both cases there is identical
> "string-of-text-characters"?  So, the point being, you don't know if these
> represent a pair of homonyms, or a case where one of the Concept authors
> simply got the name author wrong.

The latter. My point is homonyms come into existence by errors and this error
is often continued. And this is relevant. ICBN is explicit that subspecies
created in a later homonym remain valid etc. But I think we agree, the main
point is that I believe when talking about "name object" we can not exclude
those parts from the discussion that also define the object.

Gregor Hagedorn (G.Hagedorn at bba.de)
Institute for Plant Virology, Microbiology, and Biosafety
Federal Research Center for Agriculture and Forestry (BBA)
Königin-Luise-Str. 19           Tel: +49-30-8304-2220
14195 Berlin, Germany           Fax: +49-30-8304-2203