[tcs-lc] Next 4 days...

Paul Kirk p.kirk at cabi.org
Wed Mar 16 00:21:15 PST 2005

'fraid I disagree Roger. Under the ICBN there can be only one form (spelling) of a name - the others are orthographic variants of that ONE name. It is critical that we can 'account for' (track) these names variants but to define them as different names is not the logical way to do that. Under your definition I assume that Homo sapeins and Homo spaiens and Homo sapens (ad nauseum) are 'new' names? Sounds dangerous to me. Index Fungorum will eventually assign LSIDs to each name it indexes but will track orthographic variants outside this function (as it will missaplications of those names).

There are two responses to your last question - "Hey, you should have spelt it correctly in the first place" or "The change was mandated by the current Code".

Still undecided on an option until we reach a decision on what is a name.

Cheers,

Paul