[tcs-lc] Next 4 days...

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Wed Mar 16 02:35:43 PST 2005

Gregor wrote:

> Object yes, but in accordance with Paul I think this object is
> really just a
> string object. The orthographic variant is a perfect identifier
> for itself.

Yes!  Exactly.  I can't think of any properties (besides the self-evident
sequence of text characters) of an orthographic variant, other than a
reference to a Name object (LC instance) that is the "Code-corrected"
version of the same "Name" (capital-N), and the context in which it appeared
(i.e., AccordingTo reference).  By contrast, a "Name" object (sensu
Kirk/Hagedorn/Pyle) has many properties, only a few of which co-mingle with
similar-looking (but actually different) Concept properties.

> To avoid confusion, I would propose to not call is lower case "name" but
> qualify the term by saying "orthographic variant name" or
> anything that suits us.

Agreed.  Some proposed terminology (with assciated discussion) can be found
here:
http://wiki.cs.umb.edu/twiki/bin/view/UBIF/LinneanCoreDefinitions

Missing from the list is "Name-Object", which I think is what we are trying
to pin down in the current discussion.

Aloha,