No subject

Tue Mar 22 16:43:40 PST 2005

object<BR>
when it contains a specific unique combination of one-to-three<BR>
Protonyms,<BR>
candidates 1-6, plus 9 and 11 would be considered separate =
&quot;Names&quot;, with<BR>
the<BR>
others (7, 8, 10, 12) treated as orthographic variants (stored in =
the<BR>
&quot;AppliedName&quot; element&nbsp; in the context of a Concept/usage =
of my proposed<BR>
Nominal-Concept-based version of the schema).<BR>
<BR>
Finally, from the perspective of TCS, I gather all 12 of these<BR>
candidates<BR>
would be considered separate &quot;Names&quot; in the sense that each =
one would be<BR>
represented by a separate Original Concept (and corresponding =
Nominal<BR>
Concept).&nbsp; Correct?<BR>
<BR>
So, in summary, we have at least four ways to define what constitutes =
a<BR>
distinct &quot;Name&quot; entity/object:<BR>
<BR>
A. Name=3DProtonym<BR>
(Zoological perspective; 4 distinct &quot;Names&quot; represented, the =
others<BR>
representing alternative usage contexts and spelling variations).<BR>
<BR>
B. Name=3DGenusProtonym+TerminalEpithetProtonym combination<BR>
(Botanical perspective(?); 6 distinct &quot;Names&quot; represented, the =
others<BR>
representing alternative usage contexts and orthographic =
variations).<BR>
<BR>
C. Name=3DUnique Set of One-to-Three Protonyms<BR>
(Botanical perspective(?); 8 distinct &quot;Names&quot; represented, the =
others<BR>
representing alternative orthographic variations).<BR>
<BR>
D. Name=3DCharacter string [as appears in association with a concept<BR>
definition]<BR>
(TCS perspective; 12 distinct &quot;Names&quot; represented).<BR>
<BR>
If I'm not mistaken, I think that option &quot;D&quot; would also =
consider the<BR>
following 4 examples to be additional distinct Names, each with =
their<BR>
own<BR>
Original Concept:<BR>
<BR>
13) Aus (Xus) aus L.<BR>
14) Aus (Xus) bea Archer<BR>
15) Aus (Xus) beus Archer<BR>
16) Aus (Xus) aus L. beus Archer<BR>
<BR>
Correct?<BR>
<BR>
My first choice would be to go with option &quot;A&quot;, and my second =
choice<BR>
would<BR>
be to go with option &quot;C&quot;.&nbsp; My reasons are not based on =
Codes of<BR>
Nomenclature, but rather on consistency of logic and normalization, =
and<BR>
heavier reliance on intra-dataset cross-referencing, assuming we end =
up<BR>
with<BR>
some sort of &quot;Names as Objects&quot; implementation (either as =
top-level<BR>
objects,<BR>
or anchored to Nominal Concept objects, or anchored to Original =
Concept<BR>
objects).<BR>
<BR>
Am I the only one who feels that settling down on (agreeing to) a =
single<BR>
answer to this question (What constitutes a unique &quot;Name&quot;?) is =
of<BR>
critical<BR>
importance for the design and implementation of the TCS/LC schema?<BR>
<BR>
Aloha,<BR>
Rich<BR>
<BR>
Richard L. Pyle, PhD<BR>
Database Coordinator for Natural Sciences<BR>
Department of Natural Sciences, Bishop Museum<BR>
1525 Bernice St., Honolulu, HI 96817<BR>
Ph: (808)848-4115, Fax: (808)847-8252<BR>
email: deepreef at bishopmuseum.org<BR>
<A =
HREF=3D"http://www.bishopmuseum.org/bishop/HBS/pylerichard.html">http://w=
ww.bishopmuseum.org/bishop/HBS/pylerichard.html</A><BR>
<BR>
<BR>