[tcs-lc] You don't need embedded names to do concepts

Gregor Hagedorn G.Hagedorn at BBA.DE
Fri Mar 11 14:16:04 PST 2005

I certainly agree with Names-as-objects. That does not mean that TCS really has
to do it, but in a wider general object schema with other use cases than TCS I
think it is a necessity. Names are useful for many purposes, in which taxon
concepts (although ALWAYS used in an implied way) simply are not
practical/operational. And please, operational does not mean only to have
algebra to calculate on them, I refer to operational in the practice of
biological work.

A very important thing Roger said is about expanding taxon concepts. Sometimes
there seems to be a notion of character circumscriptions concepts that they are
definitional and definite. Nothing could be further from the thruth in my
experience. When I have a reasonable character circumscription in terms of
morphology, but study chemical or molecular characters, I emend that without
intending to create a new concept. I have no issue with the old one. I know
that the TCS concept types are intended to model that, but they don't work in
that I would not know when identifying the next time a fungus, which of the
emended concepts I would have used. I may use a mixture of characters from
different publications, and I guess by doing so, in the TCS perspective I would
create again another concept. I believe that then would need extensive
relationship assertions relative to dozens of previous such concepts to make
any conclusion at all. I have no time to do this - unless is is a real special
case, in which I am thankful for clearer concept relationship language (not
sensu stricto...) and ways to unambiguously express concept knowledge. However,
I can not remember any case in my work, where I would have been able to do this
in a meaningful way (I mean saying something else than "probalby some
overlap"). The only case that I would occasionally have been able to say is
"probably no overlap at all).

Gregor Hagedorn (G.Hagedorn at bba.de)
Institute for Plant Virology, Microbiology, and Biosafety
Federal Research Center for Agriculture and Forestry (BBA)
Königin-Luise-Str. 19           Tel: +49-30-8304-2220
14195 Berlin, Germany           Fax: +49-30-8304-2203