[tcs-lc] where to go now..

Gregor Hagedorn G.Hagedorn at BBA.DE
Fri Mar 11 12:30:33 PST 2005

> > 3) What is the difference between the "Label" element of LC, and the
> > "NameSimple" element of TCS?

Gregor: I am responsible for this. I am hoping for a general abstract object
model that allows for all kind of different data types to at least follow the
same pattern regarding IDs, ID-refs, and a human readable, well label or title.

Thus a publication object, geographic area, taxon concept, agent, media
resource, specimen, observation, etc. object all would have a "label" (or
"title", whichever you prefer). I believe always using "name" is less
appropriate. "Name" suggests uniqueness, so it is in my eyes not as general as
label or titel, especially when the label can occur in multiple languages. That
is even true for the scienticic names, which may have to include a rank-term,
which is often in the local language (think about ranks that are not
identifiable by suffix, and where the same "name" token may be different
concept or name-objects, depending on rank.)

> There are also Roger's comments from the document that kicked
> this whole discussion off. As I remember, some of these were
> uncontroversial - setting up a 'text' (or label?) alternative
> consistently in each element, possibly adding verbatim elements

that is a along these lines. So any input in the general questions is most
welcome (see new topics on UBIF wiki).

Gregor Hagedorn (G.Hagedorn at bba.de)
Institute for Plant Virology, Microbiology, and Biosafety
Federal Research Center for Agriculture and Forestry (BBA)
Königin-Luise-Str. 19           Tel: +49-30-8304-2220
14195 Berlin, Germany           Fax: +49-30-8304-2203