[tcs-lc] You don't need embedded names to do concepts

Roger Hyam roger at hyam.net
Wed Mar 9 10:59:45 PST 2005

Hi All,

I have been talking to a few people off list and doing some thinking and
I would like to return to a point that was made earlier when Rich
proposed (but denies it :) having a top level names element within the
schema.

The question is whether we embed names in TaxonConcepts or whether we
have separate top level element called 'Nomenclature' or similar which
contains name objects and just have a pointer to them from
TaxonConcepts. Briefly this is "NamesAsObjects" vs "NamesEmbedded" debate.

My opinion has moved to favouring NamesAsObjects. Here is the straw that
broke the camel's back for me.

Imagine I want to pass a TaxonConcept from my system to your system. I
have the circumscription here in my field guide. I have been using it
during my survey of Wonderland.

Under the current TCS NamesEmbedded model I either:

a) Pass the complete name details, i.e. the canonical name the
unstructured name the canonical author string, the micro ref, the
pointer to the reference etc. embedded in the TaxonConcept.

OR

b) I pass a pointer to the 'Original' TaxonConcept the name was used by
(I can't point to the name itself). You can then retrieve the Original
TaxonConcept and ignore any circumscription details that come with that
object because they are irrelevant.

Clearly I don't want to pass the full name details every time I pass a
concept but I would like to give  you the ability to expand on the
details I do send so it is most sensible to do b.

Making you retrieve the Original concept circumscription (which neither
of us may be interested in at all) and then discard it is a little
contrived to put it mildly. So what I would do as an implementor is
provide a SOAP or digger call, getScientificName(), that just returns
the name part of the original concept. I'll put together an XML Schema
to express this and hey presto we have a Name as an object - which is
what we are trying to avoid with having names embedded.

Exactly the same process occurs for retrieving basionym data.

Since this straw broke my camel's back some other straws have come to my
notice such as where you link to type specimens that aren't part of you
taxon circumscription - but I won't go into them just now.

I think what I am saying is that it is very useful to pass names around
as objects and people will do it whether we want them to or not.

Within our community there is general support for the notion of
TaxonConcepts and agreement that it would be a good thing if people used
them more but there is much division and lots of discussion on how we
handle names if we _force_ the use of _only_ TaxonConcepts. The level of
discussion on this nearly equals the level of spam I get!

The goal of a transfer format is to be as inclusive as possible:

* Having names as objects does not prevent people from passing
TaxonConcepts and so is the most inclusive.

* Having names embedded does make passing name data very awkward or
involves creating notions of 'special' concepts of various kinds to
cover up the fact that we are really just trying to pass nomenclatural
data. It is likely to exclude some people who can't see the merit of
doing it this way or cause them to supplement the schema in some way
which may lead to incompatibilities.

Currently I don't think we have a choice but to model NamesAsObjects. As
always I remain open to be persuasion.

Would be grateful for people's thoughts. Keep it shorter than I have
been though :)

A simple 'Agree' or 'Disagree' from as many people as possible would be
really useful. You can do it off list if you like!

  Roger Hyam
  Biodiversity Informatics
  Independent Web Development
  http://www.hyam.net  roger at hyam.net
  2 Janefield Rise, Lauder, TD2 6SP, UK.
  T: +44 (0)1578 722782 M: +44 (0)7890 341847