[tcs-lc] Poa acroleuca var. ryukyuensis H.Koba & T.Tateoka

Kennedy, Jessie J.Kennedy at napier.ac.uk
Wed Mar 9 07:57:59 PST 2005

Sally wrote:

So my question to the group (assuming anyone's got this far) is
which is better?

A) To return three linked TCS records for every (unambiguous)
trinomial, and let the questioner work out which was the record
they want
B) to return a single TCS record with an ambiguous trinomial (i.e.
no genus or specific epithet ids included)
C) to return a single TCS record with externally referenced Genus
and specific epithet ids in the LC element, which the questioner
can follow up if they want to
D) to return a single TCS record with three LC records using
transient ids for the Genus and specific epithet ids
E) ?Not sure if Rich's suggested structure would help here but if it
could, it's a fifth option

- D seems to me to be a non starter. My preference is for C (for
those servers which can provide resolvable ids and/or care about
parenthood) combined with B for those servers which don't provide
resovable ids.

I would go for  option C too. In my reply I didn't mean the ids to be interpretted as transient. Am much in favour and always have been of getting GUIDs - in a sense I htink if IPNI ids as being potential GUIDs for original botanical concepts - think I've told you that before.
If you returned B but with an IPNI (GUID) for it the again I don't think there is ambiguity - if someone wanted to find out more about the parenthood etc. they could resolve the IPNI GUID requesting that part of the schema to be included. i.e. treat B as a view on C (which of course could theoretically be a view on the full original concept with description, type etc.)

Jessie

This message is intended for the addressee(s) only and should not be read, copied or disclosed to anyone else outwith the University without the permission of the sender.
It is your responsibility to ensure that this message and any attachments are scanned for viruses or other defects. Napier University does not accept liability for any loss
or damage which may result from this email or any attachment, or for errors or omissions arising after it was sent. Email is not a secure medium. Email entering the
University's system is subject to routine monitoring and filtering by the University.