[tcs-lc] Poa acroleuca var. ryukyuensis H.Koba & T.Tateoka

Gregor Hagedorn G.Hagedorn at BBA.DE
Wed Mar 9 07:39:39 PST 2005

> C) to return a single TCS record with externally referenced Genus
> and specific epithet ids in the LC element, which the questioner
> can follow up if they want to

> My preference is for C (for
> those servers which can provide resolvable ids and/or care about
> parenthood) combined with B for those servers which don't provide
> resovable ids.
>
> Sally

I concur with Sally. The generality behind this question crops up again and
again for me (i.e. in SDD as well). The problem is how to

a) support validation where the provider and consumer would like relations to
be validated
b) support non-validated external relations, which the consumer somehow has to
deal with (but often desires to ignore).

We need some pattern for this. I have just started a new topic
http://wiki.cs.umb.edu/twiki/bin/view/UBIF/ObjectTypePattern

still very rough. For those disliking wikis, one question is: can we agree on
some naming pattern, perhaps distinguish between Object, ObjectRef and
ObjectRel as element names? The first would be the in-place definition, the
latter the validated cross-reference or non-validated external reference.

Not sure wich of Ref and Rel is more intuitive for external. Better ideas?

(this is slightly besides the point of strict lc-tcs, but in fact I believe it
is the basis to solve all the - in my eyes -misunderstandings about lc in tcs
or not.)

Gregor Hagedorn (G.Hagedorn at bba.de)
Institute for Plant Virology, Microbiology, and Biosafety
Federal Research Center for Agriculture and Forestry (BBA)
Königin-Luise-Str. 19           Tel: +49-30-8304-2220
14195 Berlin, Germany           Fax: +49-30-8304-2203