[tcs-lc] Names as Objects

Greg Whitbread ghw at anbg.gov.au
Wed Mar 9 06:46:05 PST 2005

Don't give up Jessie,

Although I must admit  sympathies to the views expressed by Gregor and
Walter ( Rich even ) I do believe that TCS is very close to providing a
generic platform  for the interchange of  the kinds of taxon level data
we are ready to make available now.  With a bit of work  I can almost
get from  APNI  ( and Sally from IPNI)  to TCS and back again *without*
loss of information. Are there any known transformational show stoppers
out there?

On this side of the world the flurry of list activity happens while I am
asleep and I awake to (try and) read a completed interchange - all I can
do is nod.  Yes we do need concept schema.  Yes it is perfectly
reasonable to embed nomenclatural concepts. Yes the generic approach
taken by TCS seems eminently qualified as a "module" in the greater
scheme of things.  Bob only knows a few additional XML tags will not be
noticed - if not required.  Perhaps we could simply change the
"taxonConcept" element name/concept to "concept"  and use the type
attribute appropriately.  It is in our best interests to to keep the
schema  simple,  generic and reusable.

There is a lot at stake here.  Some big picture issues that are much
greater  than our individual attempts to satisfy any taxonomic (or
nomenclatural) imperative.  We are in need of a global solution to the
problem of  (apparently) meaningless application of names within
biodiversity datasets.  If we want our product to be useful we must
first provide a framework  for establishing  taxonomic credibility.  We
need the end users of  our outputs to understand that taxa are our core
business and that  nomenclatural systems  are our tools for the
discovery of  relationships.   Relationships that may impact on
interpretation of  primary sources and on the nature of decisions based
on associated facts.

We are not designing the "big" concept  schema - yet.  We are trying to
figure a way of federating concepts, of finding a compromise or an "over
simplification that works", but at the same time capable of organising
our efforts to provide authoritative taxonomic opinion in a way that
reduces wherever possible any duplication of effort.   If we can
introduce LSIDs (or GUIDs at least) into the mix, TCS and TCS like
schema definitely have potential here.   We can implement however we
like - the important thing is that interchange is possible.

greg

--

Australian Centre for Plant BIodiversity Research<------------------+
National            greg whitBread             voice: +61 2 62509 482
Gardens                      S........ I.T. happens.. ghw at anbg.gov.au