[tcs-lc] Names as Objects

Kennedy, Jessie J.Kennedy at napier.ac.uk
Wed Mar 9 03:57:16 PST 2005

>> as I've said to you before I believe what you are doing is
>defining a new
>> concept (in TCS terminology - i.e. combination of name and
>definition) but fo
>> rsome reason you don't want to say you are. If you defined
>your new concept and
>
>Editors of biological journals don't like that. Nobody will be
>willing to
>publish that I was able to read two different papers and
>understand them.

don't these things come up at the ICBN meeting etc and couldn't these be the publications?

>To me this is not confusing at all, and I believe to most
>biologists it is not.
>The name and the circumscription concept are in practice
>freely combinable,
>provided the nomenclatural rules about inclusion of type are
>fullfilled.

I understand you can freely combine them but not to record that you have combined them so that someone else can use your 9hopefully better understanding of things) is what I mean adds to the overall confusion when trying to resolve data sets later.

>> >This can be easily
>> >modeled of the two concept types are different object types,
>> >but not so easily
>> >in a single object type.
>>
>> but how do I refer to your concept?
>
>You would not, since I have no concept. I accepted other
>peoples concepts and
>acted accordingly.

ok in my terminology - you accepted a definition and a name but not a combination that had ever been used together, i.e. a concept in TCS notation. So if I wanted to say I had seen some of the thing you meant by this name plus this definition, then I'm effectively referring to your concept in TCS terms where concept means name+definition not just the definition - maybe people have been missing that point but I did try hard to get it across. people use names with an implied definition - that's what I'm calling a concept in TCS. So if the name changes, the concept changes, if any part of the definition changes the concept changes.

Jessie
This message is intended for the addressee(s) only and should not be read, copied or disclosed to anyone else outwith the University without the permission of the sender.
It is your responsibility to ensure that this message and any attachments are scanned for viruses or other defects. Napier University does not accept liability for any loss
or damage which may result from this email or any attachment, or for errors or omissions arising after it was sent. Email is not a secure medium. Email entering the
University's system is subject to routine monitoring and filtering by the University.