[tcs-lc] Modularisation of standards

Donald Hobern dhobern at gbif.org
Tue Mar 8 07:41:46 PST 2005

Jessie Kennedy wrote:

> I also agree on robustness but want to quesiton extensibility - taken to
> it's extreme couldn't people just extend it to do things the way they want

> rather than the way we would like to recieve data? Does that matter?

I think that the goal in XML extensibility should be to build a model that
makes it easy for people to use existing standards as the core to which they
can then add any special extra data they need to exchange. If we prevent
them from extending our data models and exchange protocols in this way, they
will simply develop their own.  Then we will have many more problems trying
to receive their data.

Of course XML Schema makes it hard to develop a data model that provides
meaningful validation and which is also easy to extend, but I think that we
should keep the goal in mind and not make things harder than they need to
be.

Donald

Donald Hobern (dhobern at gbif.org)
Programme Officer for Data Access and Database Interoperability
Global Biodiversity Information Facility Secretariat
Universitetsparken 15, DK-2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Tel: +45-35321483   Mobile: +45-28751483   Fax: +45-35321480