[tcs-lc] Modularisation of standards

Kennedy, Jessie J.Kennedy at napier.ac.uk
Tue Mar 8 07:28:28 PST 2005

Donald wrote:
>Bob Morris wrote:
>
>> I add my strong agreement to the philosphy supported below, but warn
>> that not only in TDWG but in many communities attempting to develop
>> exchange standards, there is a big risk of relying on
>XML-Schema alone
>> to achieve the goals of robustness, extensibility, and reuse
>that the
>> philosophy seeks.
>
>I fully agree.  The philosophy I would adopt would be that we
>should however
>aim for a model with the robustness and extensibility we need
>but which can
>be represented using XML documents validated with XML Schema.  This is
>likely to mean compromises in elegance in some areas but
>should actually
>help to ensure that the models are indeed robust even in the face of
>difficulties presented by the transport layer.

I also agree on robustnessbut want to quesiton extensibility - taken to it's extreme couldn't people just extend it to do things the way they want rather than the way we would like to recieve data? Does that matter?

Jessie
This message is intended for the addressee(s) only and should not be read, copied or disclosed to anyone else outwith the University without the permission of the sender.
It is your responsibility to ensure that this message and any attachments are scanned for viruses or other defects. Napier University does not accept liability for any loss
or damage which may result from this email or any attachment, or for errors or omissions arising after it was sent. Email is not a secure medium. Email entering the
University's system is subject to routine monitoring and filtering by the University.