[tcs-lc] Modularisation of standards

Donald Hobern dhobern at gbif.org
Tue Mar 8 03:08:41 PST 2005

Bob Morris wrote:

> I add my strong agreement to the philosphy supported below, but warn
> that not only in TDWG but in many communities attempting to develop
> exchange standards, there is a big risk of relying on XML-Schema alone
> to achieve the goals of robustness, extensibility, and reuse that the
> philosophy seeks.

I fully agree.  The philosophy I would adopt would be that we should however
aim for a model with the robustness and extensibility we need but which can
be represented using XML documents validated with XML Schema.  This is
likely to mean compromises in elegance in some areas but should actually
help to ensure that the models are indeed robust even in the face of
difficulties presented by the transport layer.

Donald

Donald Hobern (dhobern at gbif.org)
Programme Officer for Data Access and Database Interoperability
Global Biodiversity Information Facility Secretariat
Universitetsparken 15, DK-2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Tel: +45-35321483   Mobile: +45-28751483   Fax: +45-35321480