[tcs-lc] Modularisation of standards

Bob Morris ram at cs.umb.edu
Tue Mar 8 03:04:50 PST 2005

I add my strong agreement to the philosphy supported below, but warn
that not only in TDWG but in many communities attempting to develop
exchange standards, there is a big risk of relying on XML-Schema alone
to achieve the goals of robustness, extensibility, and reuse that the
philosophy seeks. XML-Schema is by itself a little weak on its
modularization facilities, which are largely limited to an inheritance
mechanism that lacks multiple inheritance or any substitute for it and
some name scoping (via namespaces and xs:include/xs:import).

Aside from these, relationships between data types are mostly limited to
the key/keyref mechanism and its infrastructure. These are elegant but
technically difficult to embody in schemata.  Worst of all, the
nefarious <xs:any> and to a lesser extent the substitutionGroup
mechanism, can easily defeat the designer's best intention to support
reusability, sometimes in its very pursuit.

Finally, there are also a few anti-modularization landmines in Schema
due to having been designed by committee. One that XMLSpy didn't deal
with correctly until(?) XMLSpy 2005 is the misguided, annoying "unique
particle constraint"
http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xmlschema-1-20010502/#cos-nonambig
Intended entirely to make it technically easier to build validating
parsers, this constraint on schemas sometimes prohibits using the same
name for elements of different structural variants, when it is often
reasonable to do so (e.g. "TaxonConceptSchema" and "Name"). Too often,
in pursuit of ubiquitous element names (and other social goals), schema
designers simply make the variation rest on optional elements, and in
annotation plead with producers of instance documents to do the right thing.

Some of these problems are discussed in the rather nice paper
"Generating Data Bindings for an XML Schema-Based Language" by Eric M.
Dashofy. http://www.ics.uci.edu/~edashofy/papers/xse2001.pdf
A few of its criticisms of XML Schema have since been addressed, but it
is still pretty current.

Bob

--
Robert A. Morris