[tcs-lc] Taxonomic Product or Taxonomic Data

Beach, James H beach at ku.edu
Mon Mar 7 10:02:56 PST 2005

Roger et al. --

I think it is an open question at the moment as to what actual users
(taxonomists, monographers, nomenclaturalists, etc.) will want to do
with the schema.  SEEK-Taxon has undertaken just one day of usability
interviews with four active systematists and many of the application
functions we might imagine on top of the schema were not on their list
of bottlenecks or priorities.  I will waffle a bit and admit that this
does not mean that a wide array of data documentation tasks may not
become popular or necessary in the future for good science, but I think
the results of usability interviews of practitioners should be
considered very carefully before costly software design, implementation
and maintenance is decided.

I believe that the schema will be more or less useful to different
producers and consumers as applications reflect actual research
priorities and time constraints.  As one well-known software engineer
once put it, programmers are inherently lazy and they spend much
creative time finding ways to do things easier and making less work for
themselves--so that they can do more in the time available.  I think
that users of schema in whichever applications they have, will follow
the same path.  They will not go out of their way (nor would any of us)
to make more work for themselves than is necessary to meet their
objectives and those of the scientific community they are part of.

Definitely number 1,  number 2 will be done in pieces as needed and
required by different application domains within the field.

Jim B.
James H. Beach
Biodiversity Research Center
University of Kansas